Woohoo! It is my favorite day of the week…DIY Wednesday!
I am LOVING the oatmeal theme, so I am going to stick with it. By the end of this month, you will have several oatmeal based DIY self-care recipes that will allow you to utilize your oats in several different ways!
This week I am providing you with a simple, exfoliating apple cider vinegar and oatmeal face mask! Apple cider vinegar provides gentle exfoliation for all skin types. This oatmeal and ACV combination helps draw out excess oil and removes any dead skin cells that may be sitting atop the surface of the skin.
But first, I have been reading a lot about exfoliation – so here are a few tips before we get started.
There are 2 types of exfoliation: chemical and physical.
- Chemical exfoliants are generally AHA’s or BHA’s and are generally available in skin serums.
- Physical exfoliants are scrubbing agents.
More importantly, when to exfoliate:
- Acne or congested skin: use chemical exfoliant daily until acne is controlled, then reduce to every other day. You can add in a physical exfoliant in 1-2 times a week, focusing on T-zone.
- Dry skin: Use chemical exfoliant 1-2 times a week and physical exfoliant once a week (not on the same day)
- Normal skin: weekly chemical exfoliant and may add in a weekly physical exfoliant as well.
And now - on to this week's at-home facial:
- ¼ cup oats
- ¼ cup warm water (water being warm is especially important)
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
How to Make It:
- First, add all your ingredients into a bowl and mix until it is a paste.
- Then, grind up your mixture as fine as you would like (using food processor, coffee grinder, blender or by hand/Pestle and Mortar). Having large bits of oats will lead to a coarser texture and more exfoliation, while having a fine powder of oats is gentler.
Note: you may choose to grind oats first and then mix in ingredients to create a paste
How to Use:
- Apply on a freshly washed, clean face.
- Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Scrub lightly and once finished, rinse off with lukewarm water and or a wet washcloth.
- Finish up by doing your regular skincare routine.
I tried this mask and loved it! Check out my Instagram reel and let us know what you think if you give it a try (we love feedback and pictures)!